Thursday, January 27, 2011

2. Getting over the stigma

When I was a kid, “personal ads” were the Match.com of the day.  They were something we read in the back of the paper and laughed about.  They seemed really silly and I was sure all the people who placed them were entirely weird.  I assumed the same would be true of everyone on Match.com, eHarmony and Yahoo! Personals.

It’s not all freaks today.  I met some nice folks through Match.com.  For instance, I dated a very nice guy who is a respectable lawyer.  He is a great guy and we’re still friends.  We just weren’t the right romantic match.  I ran into some odd ducks as well, I admit, but no one scary or dangerous.  Okay, one guy was scary, but I'll save that story for another post.  I knew he was scary by phone, I never met him.  Use common sense.  If someone seems really weird, move on.  It’s still better than trying to meet someone in a bar, for goodness’ sake.

In the last six years, I have been to two weddings that resulted from on line dating.  Both marriages appear to me be happy, reasonable, long lasting unions.  It’s the wave of the future; get on board.

2 comments:

  1. I truly believe that it is more than possible to find someone and build a relationship through dating websites. I myself have never tried, maybe because I am from old school when the subject is love. I still believe that it can happen anywhere, with anyone and when we never expect it to happen.
    However, I’ve meet some people who had great experiences and some also ended up in marriage. I believe that when the goal is love any try is worth a try. ;). Your personal story is amazing; I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing - that makes me feel good! :-)

    ReplyDelete